Table of Contents
Some might say that it’s too boring to try to always take care of your safety, and worrying too much will only hurt, but the truth is that being too cautious is not possible: paying attention to safety is something everyone should do. In this article, you will learn more about reasons why ladder safety is important and will find a couple of tips on choosing a ladder that might be useful. Enjoy the article and take care of your safety!
Do you still think that taking care of your safety while using a ladder is not that big of a deal? Here, you can find 5 reasons why it is important to have your safety in mind when using a ladder of any kind:
- Improper ladder usage might lead to injuries. Misuse of any ladder can cause different injuries, including very severe injuries.
- Improper ladder usage might be the cause of death. Over 10,000 cases of fatalities due to improper ladder usage have been reported during the previous year.
- Kids who are living in a household where ladders are used might get hurt due to improper ladder usage. Kids’ safety should be your top priority, no matter what you are doing in the house. If you are working with the ladder at home, you should take care of your children and make sure they don’t use the ladder without your supervision.
- Improper ladder usage can result in huge medical expenses. If you get hurt because of improper ladder usage, you might have to spend a lot of money on the recovery. Not everyone can do that due to limited financial opportunities.
- Improper ladder usage might lead to a delay in planned constructions and other works. If a ladder is misused, you might have to postpone the work you were doing.
Before we get into tips on how to choose a safe ladder, first, let’s quickly review some safety recommendations:
- Think about the place where you will use the ladder. Your choice will largely depend on the place where you will put it. If the ladder does not work out in the space you are currently working with; it might even put your life in danger.
- Set up the ladder properly. Don’t try to do everything by yourself! After you have received your freshly bought ladder, make sure you study the instructions before using the instrument. This way, you will not only start working more quickly but will also take care of your safety.
- Don’t allow kids to use the ladder. Children’s safety is also something you should consider when buying a ladder for your home. It is better to teach them what it is and say that it’s dangerous to use it on your own.
- Store your ladder correctly and spend some time revising it before utilizing it. You should study the instructions to learn the best way to store your ladder. And every time you use the ladder, the first thing you should do is check whether there are any malfunctions.
- Choose the ladder correctly. This is also a very important thing you should remember. Down below, you will find tips on how to shop for ladders correctly.
Here is a quick guide on choosing a ladder properly. Use these tips to make sure you make the right choice:
- Know different types of ladders.
There is a huge variety of ladders you can choose from. Here is a list of the most popular types of ladders:
- Single section ladder. The single section ladder is one of the lightest ladders and very simple in use. It’s mostly used for level-ground applications.
- Stepladder. This one allows freestanding use and can be folded compactly, so you can store it easily anywhere.
- Extension ladder. This type of ladder has a design that allows the worker to fold it easily and carry or store it anywhere.
- Multi-function ladder. As you can guess it from the name of the ladder, this kid can be used for many purposes.
- Telescopic ladder. If you compare it to an extension ladder, you will find many similarities, but, unlike the latter one, the telescopic ladder can take up even less storage.
- Pick the right height and reach.
There are a few factors you should consider when choosing the best height for the ladder. These include the ladder’s angle, its highest standing point, the overlap of ladder sections, and extension about the roofline. You should take into account all these measurements before purchasing a ladder. You should think about the tasks you are going to perform as well since the needed height depends on them too.
- Consider ladder capacity.
Unfortunately, many forget about this factor and regret about not thinking about it later. Ladders are divided into different types that define duty ratings. As you know it already, a ladder’s purpose is to hold someone as well as the weight they are carrying. Here are the various types of ladders divided by duty ratings and capacity:
- Type III. For lightweight use mostly. The load limit is 200 lbs.
- Type II. For simple projects. The load limit is 225 lbs.
- Type I. Can be used for most projects and different types of works. The load limit is 250 lbs.
- Type IA. It is mostly designed for professional use. The load limit is 300 lbs.
- Type IAA. It’s designed for max durability and can be used at home or for professional use. The load limit is 375 lbs.
To make sure that you are safe when using a ladder, you should make sure that the chosen capacity really suits your needs and will be right for the future work you will be doing with the ladder.
- Think about the way you will transport the ladder. You should know your capabilities because if not chosen correctly, a too heavy ladder will cause a lot of trouble. Take a look at the list of all types of ladders again and choose one that would fit not only your needs but your capabilities as well.
- Take care of your safety. And again: there is nothing more important than your health and safety, as well as people who might be using the ladder as well.
All of these tips are very crucial when you are shopping for a ladder. You should follow them at all times and make sure that all of these steps are taken. This way, you will not only buy the best ladder possible but will also make sure you are safe using it.
It might not be easy to choose the right ladder and make sure that you follow all the rules, but it is definitely worth it since if you don’t take some time to check the recommendations, you might get into a very complicated situation. You can trust this article to provide you with all the needed tips and info that will make your experience much safer. Take care of yourself now!