Renovating your home can be daunting, but exciting. Nothing feels better than upgrading old furnishings, adding new features, or changing the flooring throughout the home. Whatever your reasons are for renovating, the options for improving your home are endless.
If you’re upgrading your home to increase its value on the market, or if you simply want a fresh change, below are a few ideas that can boost your home in 2020 and beyond.
Update Your Flooring
The flooring of a home matters a great deal, from its appearance to its feel under your feet, having the right kind of floor can make a world of difference. Perhaps you have an outdated carpet that needs a refresh, or maybe you want to replace vinyl with hardwood. Whatever the desire, updating the flooring has the potential to completely transform your home. If you’re on a budget, try installing the floor yourself.
Install A Walk-in Shower
Walk-in showers have become increasingly popular. Not only do they create more space, but they are easier to clean and are accessible for those who are less mobile. If you are looking to upgrade your bathroom, try replacing the bath for a walk-in shower instead. There are a lot of elegant designs to choose from which could also boost the value of your home.
Weatherproof Your Doors And Hatches
It’s no secret that homes degrade over time, particularly during inclement weather. Weatherproofing your doors and hatches to ensure that sealants are still working is essential. If you’re new to doing this yourself, all it involves is a video tutorial and a trip to the hardware store to buy self-adhesive weather stripping. Securing this to your outer doors and hatches will prevent drafts and leaks, especially during the winter months.
Make The Most Out Of The Space
If you don’t have a big living space, you can still make the most out of it by organizing your home. Here are some space-saving tips:
- Declutter One Room At A Time: When decluttering your home, do it one room at a time instead of the whole house at once. Prioritize decluttering rooms based on the most cluttered room, hardest room to tackle, and the number of people using the room.
- Select The Right Containers: Choosing the right containers, like transparent ones, promote easier access. If you prefer opaque containers, label them for better accessibility. You can use decorative boxes to store smaller items, which make great decorations, too, in your living room or bedroom.
- Use Vertical Space: Using vertical space means using the above space in your room. For instance, you can use cabinet shelves to the ceiling. Place things you don’t use that much on the higher shelves. Also, you can stack the containers on top of each other. Place the things you don’t really need at the bottom.
Repair And Maintenace
One of the best ways to improve your home is to tackle any crack, hole, or damage in your fixtures, appliances, as well as HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems. This way, you can save more money in the long run, preventing expensive repairs or parts replacement. If you need help with repair and maintenance, you can contact a Dallas handyman today, if you live within the area.
Check these helpful tips when hiring repair and maintenance services:
- Choose an experienced handyman in your area.
- Check the handyman’s reputation by asking previous clients, getting references, and welcoming referrals.
- Get estimates before agreeing to contract services.
Refresh The Paint
Changing up the color of your rooms is another fantastic way to upgrade your home. Whether it’s all the rooms you want to tackle, or just one room in particular, choosing a new color to spruce up the space is an exciting job. If you’re intending to put your home on the market with a La Jolla realtor, for example, choosing the right paint color palette is crucial for increasing your home’s value.
Consider the ambiance you want to experience in a particular room so you can choose the best color. For instance, sea blue is perfect for bedrooms because it’s tranquil and relaxing. Don’t be afraid to go bold with vibrant colors, like red, which is perfect as a living room wall accent.
Upgrade The Yard or Deck
While it’s all well and good to upgrade the interior of your home, be sure not to neglect the outside. Depending on the size and style of your home, you could build, sand, or re-paint new decking. You could also update the garden and add landscape features to make it more homely and inviting. Now that it’s summer, attending to improvements to the outer areas of the home allows you to spend time outdoors while boosting the overall look and functionality.
Home improvement can be as big or as small as you’d like it to be. Whether you intend to put your home on the market, or if you simply want to upgrade the look and feel, the above ideas can be a start to a fresher and more comfortable place to live.