Table of Contents
The exquisite design and elaborate edges of the Bowie knives make them timeless, classic, and a perfect companion for cooking, hunting and outdoor activities. The knives were initially designed as combats knives but, over time, have seen a stunning transformation with an upgrade in their features, style, and design.
The custom bowie knives are handcrafted and designed, keeping compliance and safety standards in mind. The fixed blade sheath of the bowie knives protects the user from injuries and makes it convenient to carry around the knife. Planning to buy a bowie knife for your next adventure? Here are a few things to know before buying:
Decide which bowie knife category you want.
The knives are personalized and designed for various purposes, including self-defence and hunting. The modern fixed blades with a leather sheath are convenient for quick utility. Hence, bowie knives can be distinguished depending on their purpose:
- Military knives have a sharp edge and are majorly used for self-defence. The sharp blade makes it easy to stab or injure someone in self-defence. The blade is designed to be durable and strong.
- A range of utility bowie knives is a must-have for adventures and outdoor activities. These knives are used for cutting meat, and wood, slicing, removing bones from fish, cutting twigs or creepers etc.
- Hunting knives are used for hunting and boast a curved blade that makes it easy to skin the hunted animals. The long blade with a fixed tang makes hunting easy and convenient.
Blade size and length
Another important and important factor is the size of the blade. The fixed blade knives are easier to use, and the size ranges from 5 inches to as long as 20 inches. The blade style and size vary. However, if you are planning to purchase the bowie knife for outdoors or adventure, make sure it is around 5 to 6 inches to make it convenient for carrying. A classic bowie knife consists of a 6-inch clip point and 4-inch semi-sharpened blade, preventing accidental slipping.
Blade type of the bowie knife
The bowie knife is designed with different types of blades, and hence it is crucial to make the right choice per one’s needs. Here are the different blade types:
- Drop point knife -These knives have the pointed tip at an angle, mostly at 60 degrees. As it has a steep drop, it reduces the chances of the knife tangling with fabric or other items. It offers a strong grip preventing it from slipping out of your hand. As the tip of the drop point knife is made of hard material, it does not penetrate the attacker’s body yet serves great from a defence point of view.
- Clip point Knife – In this type of knife, the edge or blade has a concave shape with a pointy tip. These knives are more often used as utility knives. It is termed a clip point knife when the forward third of the knife is clipped off, straight or concave and is the blade portion of the knife.
- Sheep’s foot knife – These knives are popularized as they have a back blade with the cutting edge curving towards the blade’s tip. The design minimizes the risk of cutting or injuring oneself. These are used majorly for cutting and other utilities but are not great regarding self-defence.
Finding the right bowie knife that fits your purpose is often challenging but not a difficult task. Browse through the range of knives in the market while keeping the type of knife you want. These knives serve multiple functions, including self-defence, hunting, and outdoor utilities.