A standing desk is also called a stand up desk and is designed to write, Read and draw while standing. It has an adjustable height for adjusting during sitting if it has to be used as a sit stand desk also. For a sit stand desk, the height can be adjusted using an electric motor, hand cranks or counterbalance or simply by a push button. Many such desks have custom made heights for sitting according to the height of the user. The standing desk can also be folded and placed on another desk to increase Its height for use as a standing desk.
Sit stand desks or simple standing desks offer much more flexibility, functionality and benefits than the routine sitting desks in most offices today.
BENEFITS OF A STANDING DESK
- It reduces the risk of chronic back pain. Prolonged sitting can cause Vertebral compression and hence chronic back pain. A standing desk helps to maintain posture and reduce the possibility of chronic back Pain.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease by decreasing cholesterol and Blood sugar levels. A standing desk helps to reduce blood cholesterol Levels and hence the risk of heart disease.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes and blood sugar levels by decreasing Obesity and increasing physical stamina.
- It reduces obesity and weight gain around the abdomen caused by prolonged sitting.
- It improves physical stamina and overall performance due to frequent Mobility and improved posture.
- It isn’t rocket science to guess that reduction in chances of the aforementioned diseases and health problems lead to a much healthier and longer life of the persons. Studies have actually found out that reduced sitting time has helped increase the lifespan of people.
- It helps the individual to have a more positive and active approach overall. It lifts the energy levels, helps avoid lethargy and improves the mood of individuals.
- The improved mood leads to much lesser stress, tension or pressure on the individual. It helps avoid mental strain on a person and those around him or her.
- As the individual has a more active approach towards work in general, they subconsciously become more productive and take more initiatives. It helps save a lot of time on their part as well as for the organisation. All in all, all factors and benefits are interrelated.
So, reduced sedentary time has direct and positive health benefits. They could be physical or mental. It is a win-win situation for the individuals and the organisations they work in.
For years, experts have been advising individuals to choose standing desks over sitting ones. Some might say that they have succeeded to an extent since a lot of modern office goers have chosen to switch to standing desks over other forms. It is an option that avoids harm and helps improvement in every aspect of one’s life, all while one is working!
TIME NEEDED TO STAND WHILE USING A STANDING DESK
According to popular reports a minimum of 30 minutes of standing per Hour is beneficial to avail complete benefits of a standing or a DIY standing Desk. This when compared to light or medium exercise burns 170 calories in 24 hours and approximately 1000 calories in a week.
Do not that standing desks do not replace or have anything to do with the impacts of exercise. But sitting desks users are definitely more prone to diseases and lifelong mental and physical problems than standing desk ones. A little calorie burnt is way better than no calorie burnt in this day and age.
A standing desk can be adjustable for a height as low as 5 feet 3 Inches to 6 feet 3 inches and thus is compatible with both short and tall people. It also can include a hidden desk cabinet to store and manage a sheath of papers. Many versions may have wheels to provide for mobility from one place to another. Many models have a foot rail for greater comfort as well as a computer vent also.
It is a desk that allows for both sitting and standing while being On a computer or reading and writing manuscripts. So you can sit for 30 minutes and stand for 30 minutes to increase blood circulation and improve posture along with availing all benefits of a standing desk also, thus helping in increasing the comfort of the user.
To conclude, in a classical office setting where employers are in a sitting Job from 9 am to 5 pm, prolonged sitting has adverse effects worse than Smoking, according to the latest medical scenario and updates in the medical Field. It is of utmost importance to either involve in frequent light Exercises after every 20 to 30 minutes of continuous sitting or invest in a standing desk to avoid the hazards of continuous sitting. As it is said prevention is better than cure so a standing desk has proved its utility both medically as far as health quotient of user is concerned as well as mentally for a more relaxed and productive mental wellbeing.
However, it must be emphasized that prolonged standing too has its adverse Effects in form of enema of feet and ankles and lowered blood pressure. Many brands are available in the market and choosing a standing desk according to your comfort, convenience and general wellbeing to suit your needs will prove to be a panacea for a typical office worker with a 9 am to 5 pm job and added overtime too .
Whatever the consequences might be, it is definitely an improvement from health adversaries of continuous sitting like obesity, high Blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol levels and increased stress to name a few. Let’s try to welcome and embrace this change in our lifestyle and stay healthy. It is a rather small change with much bigger benefits. One must Be aware of the hazards or repercussions his or her actions might have; in this case, of continuous sitting. So, shift to a healthy you!