Table of Contents
Presently, you will find many types of vessel sinks in the market, but the most outstanding one is the glass vessel sink.
Apart from its beautiful nature, this sink is strong and long-lasting due to it being made of tempered glass.
Furthermore, if you have limited space in your kitchen or bathroom, installing a glass vessel sink will be the best option.
This is because it’s small and doesn’t take too much space.
But installing the vessel sink is not the end. You need to know about its maintenance. Therefore, in this guide, we will help you learn how to clean a glass vessel sink properly.
7 Steps of Cleaning a Glass Vessel Sink:
Ensure you have the following cleaning items before you begin the cleaning process.
- Soft cloth
- Mild detergents such as a dish cleanser or use water and vinegar
- A bucket of water
- Paper towel
- Glass cleaner
When you have all the above, you can now start cleaning the sink.
Step 1: Mix the mild detergent in the bucket of water. Or mix water and vinegar (please use white vinegar because it is benign).
Step 2: Deep the soft cloth in the mixture and wipe the sink’s inside and outside part.
Note: If your glass vessel sink is top-mounted, then you must clean the outside part of the sink. This is because the top-mounted sink usually gets dirty underneath.
Step 3: Rinse the cloth with clean water and repeat wiping your sink. Repeat this process at least two times.
Step 4:Use a paper towel to dry the inner and outer parts of the sink.
Step 5: Spray the glass cleaner on the glass vessel sink on both parts (inside and outside).
Step 6: Leave the glass cleaner to soak for 5-10 minutes.
Step 7: Wipe the sink using a paper towel or a soft dry cloth. The glass cleaner prevents the stain from remaining on the sink’s surface. Additionally, when you apply the glass cleaner, you won’t need to clean your sink frequently.
NB: Don’t use scouring pads or any abrasive cloth when cleaning a glass vessel sink. Such will destroy the sink’s texture by leaving scratches on the sink.
How to Clean Hard Water Stains from Glass Sink
Did you notice white spots on your sink? This is due to the use of hard water. Hard water is known to have minerals such as magnesium and calcium.
Therefore, when you wash your hands or finish using the sink and leave water droplets to dry, the mineral deposits will stick on the sink.
This leads to stains on your sink, making it not have an attractive appearance. This necessitates cleaning promptly. But which is the best cleanser to get rid of the mineral deposits?
According to sink engineering, experts advise is that homeowners should use acidic substances to clean mineral deposits from glass vessel sinks. So, can I use a strong acid cleaning my glass sink? No! Please avoid using strong acids such as HCL or sulfuric acid. This is because it will destroy the surface of the sink.
You are advised to use less acidic substances such as vinegar or lemon juice together with flour, baking soda, and laundry soaps. The main reason why you need to mix vinegar or lemon juice is to remove the mineral deposits fast.
When you only use lemon juice and vinegar, it will take much time to remove calcium or magnesium deposits from the sink thoroughly.
To simplify, here is a step-to-step guide you will use to remove the stains from your glass sink.
Step 1: Take a bowl and mix vinegar or lemon juice with flour, baking soda, or laundry soaps.
Step 2: Apply the mixture of the sink’s bowl and wait for 4-8 minutes. This is to enable the mix to remove the hard water stains quickly.
Step 3: Using a paper towel or a dry cloth,wipe the mixture from the sink till it’s dry.
Step 4:Spray a glass cleaner and leave it to soak for 5-10 minutes before using a paper towel or clean, soft, and dry cloth.
Step 5: Wipe the sink till it’s dry, and you can see your reflection.
When you are done, you can turn on the faucet and check if water droplets remain on the sink. If that’s the case, you will have to dry it using a soft cloth always after using the sink.
Ways of Preventing Mineral Deposits on Glass Vessel Sinks
Mineral deposits due to hard water make glass sinks unattractive,and when left for a longtime,it can lead to permanent discoloring. This will necessitate you to install a new sink.
But this should not be the case. You need to always care for your glass vessel sink.This will mean it will last for a long and look attractive.
So, how do you prevent mineral deposits or hard stains from your glass vessel sink?
Check out the following prevention methods and apply them always.
- Always dry the sink after use. The water droplets that remain on the sink’s bowl evaporate, leaving mineral deposits such as calcium and magnesium on the sink,causing white stains. Therefore, if you dry the sink after use, no mineral deposits will remain on the sink, causing stains.
- Once a week, apply a surface cleaner such as an antibacterial cleaner to remove bacteria from the sink. For your information, glass is non-porous. Thus, no bacteria can hide on the sink. This makes cleaning easy. Using the antibacterial cleanser will help you kill the germs that are on the sink’s surface.
- Lastly, using a glass cleaner makes the sink to be repellant to water droplets. This means that no water droplets will stick on the surface of the sink leading to stains.When using this water-repellent spray,it on the sink and leave it to soak for a few minutes before wiping it using a dry soft cloth or paper towel.
Benefits of Glass Vessel Sinks
Glass vessel sinks are trendy in these current times. But what are the advantages of purchasing and installing a glass sink?
The following are the benefits of buying a glass sink.
- Easy to install–Unlike other sinks like require drop-in installation, glass vessel sinks don’t need this. Most glass sinks are top-mounted, and you need to fix the drain, and you will be done.
- Good-Looking–This sink has an attractive look that will make your kitchen or bathroom glamorous.
- It Doesn’t Take Too Much Space –This vessel sink is usually small in size; thus, you don’t require too much space to install it.
- Easy to Maintain –You need to care for your sink for it to be durable and attractive. Therefore, maintaining this sink is easy as you need to make sure you dry it after use. Additionally, make sure you clean it with proper detergents and non-abrasive cloth to avoid decolorizationand scratch.
- Affordable – We compared the prices of different types of sinks. And to our findings, we noticed that glass vessel sinks are cheap.
- Available in Different Varieties–Let’s say you want a particular color, shape, or size; you can find a glass vessel sink as per your requirements.
For sure, I love the appearance of glass vessel sinks, and they make your bathroom or kitchen look fantastic. Therefore, when you install this type of sink, you need to care for it to ensure it lasts for a long and always looks good.
This is all we had for today. If you have any questions about glass vessel sinks, leave a comment, and we will help you.