Are you thinking about giving your home a new and captivating look? Well, you’ve come to the right page.
At Spacejoy, our internal element rules are straightforward. We start with space, lines, forms, color, textures, lights, and patterns. On the whole, we keep all these elements ‘balanced,’ which is the key to mastering an aesthetically pleasing interior.
Living room décor ideas in magazines, Pinterest, and Instagram might seem easy as it looks, but there are many steps to make space work.
No doubt, decorating your home is fun and a thrilling experience if you know the right décor rules. Rest assured, it’s hassle-free too. To get started on some of these living room décor ideas, all you need to do is follow our classy décor rules, and your good to go. For items to buy for your living room home décor, you’ll always have Spacejoy at your doorstep.
- Get a focal point in place: If you have a fireplace, a brick wall, or an oversized artwork, put it to use. Finding the living room’s natural focal point of view is an excellent start to decorating the space. To make this focal point stand out amongst the best, you can further spruce up the artwork by creating an accent wall, or the fireplace can have a decorated mantel with trinkets and another décor. Highlight your brick wall with an entertainment section or even an industrial statement piece. This focal point for a living room décor should be the first thing one notices when entering the room.
- Welcome art-work to your living room: Begin by choosing the right art, and hang it correctly – never make a mistake by positioning it too high on the wall. Technically, the frame should be at eye level, which is 145 cm from the floor to the picture center. While choosing the right art, keep in mind that the art frame and color scheme should complement the wall color. Creating a gallery wall against a loud wall hue will steal the essence of what the art portrays. Apart from artwork, another living room home décor idea is to hang up your hobbies (weird as it sounds, we meant) – music instruments, or even a cycle, can be a talking piece of entertainment to your living room.
- Living rooms should be functional: You’ve got to have a mastermind to create a functional living room. Apart from adding different seating arrangements, make use of storage units to avoid clutter in your space. Replace the standard coffee table with an ottoman. Use a bookcase for various purposes – stack your books on two shelves and place mobile storage units on the other stands for tossing blankets, toys, and other clutter.
- Choose a heroic statement piece: Now, every room needs a statement piece, something that will make jaws drop, delight, and make an impact on the space. You can choose an oversized piece of furniture like an accent chair, a reading chair in a bold color, a fabulous rug, a feature wall, or even an object, something for guests to comment on when they enter the living room. Small accessories can make a statement, too, so don’t forget to add lush throws and pillows to your sectional or sofa.
- Add dimension to space: One of the rules for decorating your living room is adding dimension and texture to space. Together they bring out visual appeal and interest. Create depth and height to the room by adding photos, floating shelves, and even mirrors to the walls. However, keep in mind the measurement from the wall edge and the ceiling, as you’ll want to make sure that the décor is placed at eye level and is centered.
- Lights are super important: Lighting is another essential interior design rule for living rooms. Consider having a mix of ambient, task lights, and overhead lights. To create an open living room, layer the light sources evenly. On the other hand, if you are lucky with natural light, arrange the furniture around or near the windows. Not only will you enjoy the natural light pouring into your room, but you can also enjoy the view from the luxury of your couch.
- A rug or two will seal the deal: The right carpet for your living room layout can be tricky. Area rugs add texture and dimension to space. Choose a rug that will complement your color scheme and one that can be placed in the center of your room. Be sure to select the right size for your furniture. A living room furniture rule should be as follows: you should place the furniture’s front legs on the rug, and the carpet should be more than 6-12 inches away from the walls.
- Play with patterns and textures:If you want your living room to have a personal touch:
- Play with patterns, textures, and colors.
- Start by incorporating a favorite color and add different shades throughout the room.
- Choose a neutral color soda and team it with a printed bohemian armchair.
- Add a striking pop of color by infusing an accent chair to create a bold look in your living room. Remember not to overdo the patterns, colors, and texture as you don’t want your interior design of the living room to look overwhelming.
- Create symmetry for this space: Another interior design living room rule focuses on balance to bring to the area a well-balanced living room that appears organized and comfortable. You can pair sofas, side tables, and chairs on opposite sides of the room to get a symmetrical space. You can also use a coffee table to serve as the center of the arrangement.
- Let the room flow with ease: Does the furniture arrangement in your living room make it difficult to enter and exit. If yes, you should make sure that the furniture is arranged for the free flow of traffic. Work with the size of your living room space by choosing the table’s right size to use this high-traffic area with ease.