Do you feel like your apartment is lacking when it comes to space? You’re not alone! However, rather than thinking about packing your bags and leaving, you will find that there is probably more space in your apartment than you realise. So, with that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the things you can do to create more space in your apartment.
- Put some of your belongings in storage – There is only one place to begin, and this is by dealing with all of your belongings. Do you feel like clutter is a major problem because you simply have too many things? If so, you are not alone! So, why not put some of the items that you do not use in storage so that you have more space? There are companies like Cubic Storage that can assist you with this.
- Have one piece of furniture per room – Next, we recommend that you only have one large and prominent piece of furniture per room. For example, in the sofa, this would be a living room. In the bedroom, this would be your bed. If you try to cram other big furniture pieces, it can take over the entire space and make it feel like you do not even have room to breathe.
- Follow the one in, one out rule – Whenever you bring something new into your home, you’re using up the space that is available to you. Therefore, you are only going to build more and more clutter. Because of this, we recommend that you follow the one in, one out rule. This means that whenever you add something new to your room, you need to take something out so that you can accommodate space for it.
- Think vertically – Another tip that we have for you is to think vertically. If you are running low on floor space, why don’t you use some of your wall space instead? Hang paintings high up on the wall so that you can draw the eye upward, creating the illusion of a bigger room. You can also make the most of slim, tall bookshelves as well. You will be surprised by how much of a difference changes like this can make.
- Open up the space with mirrors – Mirrors can bring a lot to your home. Not only do they enable you to make sure you look good before you leave, but they also open up a room and make it look bigger and more welcoming. This is because the light from the sun and/or the artificial lighting in your room will bounce off the surface and back into the room, opening up the space.
- Consider multi-purpose furniture – Aside from the advice that we have provided so far, we recommend that you consider multi-purpose furniture pieces. For example, a coffee table that will double up as a storage trunk is always a great purchase. This will make sure you boost the functionality of your home without taking up any more room in the apartment.
- Keep the design simple – Take inspiration from Scandinavian interior design. They use classic patterns and colours, clean lines, and practical design. Use simple patterns and minimal drapery. If you choose a complicated colour scheme and overly fancy patterns, this can end up making the room look smaller and more cluttered.
So there you have it: some of the different steps that you can take to create more space in your apartment. We hope that you now have some great ideas when it comes to enjoying a more comfortable and enjoyable place to live.